Ce billet se rapporte aux recherches que j’ai effectuées lors de mon stage au CRESSON (sous la direction de Théa Manola). Dans le cadre d’un Master 2 en architecture dans la thématique « Aedification –...
Uncommon Senses III: The Future of the Senses4 Oct 2019
Places, Affordances, Atmospheres A Pathic Aesthetics. By Tonino Griffero4 Sep 2019
ATMOSPHERE/ATMOSPHERES. TESTING A NEW PARADIGM a new book by Tonino Griffero28 Nov 2018
The School of Architecture of Nantes will host the 14th European Architectural Envisioning Conference EAEA1412 Sep 2018
Dates: The Conference will take place from the 3rd to 6thseptember 2019.
Topic: Envisioning ambiances: representing (past, present and future) atmospheres for architecture and the built environment.
Call for papers
The concept of “ambiance” has been formed over the years by questioning the interactions between three attractors: architecture and the city, climatic and sound phenomena, uses and perception. Studied in pairs, each of these attractors refers to very different disciplinary fields, architecture and phenomena concern the physics of the city, architecture and uses interest sociology and uses and phenomena are rather turned to comfort. Studies concerning ambiances are therefore highly interdisciplinary and open to many questions: living spaces, urban renewal and heritage, urban prospective and the city as a stage. For this, many conceptual and technical tools are mobilized: digital tools for simulation and immersion, investigation, surveys and storytelling, prototyping, field action. What may be new in the field of academic studies is the awareness of artistic creation as a resource for the use of digital tools, storytelling and the representation of complexity through original means. Subjects may be, but not limited to:
- Visualization of the ambiance-related knowledge;
- A cultural approach to climatic, light and sound phenomena;
- Methods of communicating the ambiance issues to the society;
- Enhancing and stimulating sensitive approaches to the built environment in education;
- Envisioning all aspects of ambiance perception.
- The EAEA14 Conference welcomes submissions of research papers, which will be organized in three tracks, namely:
- Ambiance, storytelling and immersion (representation and communication of medium including analog, digital and immersive environment)
- Keywords: analog digital media, immersive devices, representation
- Ambiance and education (tools, techniques, and strategy of design teaching)
- Keywords: parametric design, conceptual studies, digital world
- Ambiance and Design (process, analysis, observation and execution of design for objects, space, built-form and urban environment)
- Keywords: conceptual design, perceptual design, analytical design, performative design, visual design, parametric design, simulation design
The “call” is for extended abstracts of between 1,000 to 1,200 words with a maximum of two illustrations. Those whose abstracts are accepted will be invited to submit a (max) 8-page paper. The full paper will be specified in a later version of the website. Decisions on acceptance will be based on the response of an international review committee. Its decision will be final.
Two Workshops are also being arranged, to take place prior to the Conference.
Changing landscapes / Changing the landscapes of terror and threat: materialities, bodies, ambiances, elements24 Aug 2018
- Sara Fregonese (University of Birmingham)
- Suncana Laketa (University of St. Gallen)
- Damien Masson (Université de Cergy-Pontoise)
- Living with to terror and terror threat
- Responding, reacting, coping, absorbing: extraordinary violence and ordinary experiences
- Governing/regulating public experiences of and responses to terror
- Studying terror within the atmospheric turn
- More-than-human landscapes of terror and terror threat
- Performances of terror/security in public space?
- Elemental geographies of terrorism and terror threat
- Atmospheric/material/elemental/bodily histories of urban terror and terror threat
- Representing, visualizing and/or mapping the everyday, embodied, elemental and ambient geographies of terror fear and threat
- Collecting, grasping, and other sensory methodologies to understand the mundane feelings/affects/intensities of terror and terror threat
The Anxious City Festival - Rotterdam 08/31-09/0224 Aug 2018
Noise, pollution, overstimulation, hostile architecture, crowd; are our minds and bodies trapped in this ‘concrete jungle’? As an increasing part of urban populations is suffering from stress and anxiety disorders, one may wonder in which ways urban environments influence emotions and mental health.
The Anxious City brings together experts and city lovers to look at the notion of body architecture and how disciplines such as neuroscience, psychology, behavioral design, art and technology can help bridging the gap between architecture and experiences.
Through talks, workshops and artistic interventions, we are investigating how space design can be used as a therapeutic tool.
For more information and tickets: http://healingplaces.nl/the-anxious-city
Call for Papers - "Bring back my neighbourhood!"24 Aug 2018
- Inigo Sanchez (Universidade Nova de Lisboa)
- Daniel Malet Calvo (ISCTE-IUL. University Institute of Lisbon)
- Salwa Branco (Universidade Nova de Lisboa)
The interplay of tourism and heritage is a powerful medium affecting cultural change in urban historical centers. The loss of local population, along with traditional modes of social behavior and vernacular cultural practices, or the transformation of historic neighborhoods into thematic parks for tourism consumption are some of the negative consequences of tourism, that, as some authors have noted, are often expressed in the public discourse making reference to the loss of the "authenticity" and "real feel" of urban places (Zukin 2010).
This panel seeks to analyze the impact of tourism on the urban environment, focusing on the concept of "ambiance" as a tool to explore the physical regeneration and sensory transformation of contemporary touristic places. How does heritage participates in creating particular urban ambiances and places for tourist consumption? How tourism and city development affect the lived ambiances in the urban context? What is the role of heritage and expressive practices in relation to the physical regeneration and marketing of contemporary touristic places?
We are inviting scholars from various academic fields to discuss these and other questions, theoretical frameworks and empirical findings on issues related to the relationship between heritage, expressive cultures and the production of urban ambiances for tourist consumption in contemporary cities.
More information: https://nomadit.co.uk/sief/sief2019/conferencesuite.php/panels/7222
Appel à contribution pour la revue EXERCICE(S) D'ARCHITECTURE #7 // Thématique : Détournement ... et architecture24 May 2018
CFP - Experimenting on ambiance with architecture1 Dec 2017
Call for papers for a special issue of Ambiances, International Journal of Sensory Environment, Architecture and Urban Space
- Articles containing 30,000 to 50,000 characters (including spaces) with illustrations
- Reception date: March 1st 2018
- Initial feedback to authors: May 2nd 2018
- Publication: October 2018
- Please respect the submission guidelines of the journal: https://ambiances.revues.org/221
- Send the papers to: email@example.com
- Articles de 30000 à 50000 signes, espaces compris et illustrés
- Date de réception : 1er mars 2018
- Premier retour aux auteurs : 2 mai 2018
- Publication : Octobre 2018
- Suivez les notes aux auteurs de la revue pour la mise en forme : https://ambiances.revues.org/163
- Envoyez vos articles à : firstname.lastname@example.org
6th Cresson' Winter School - Sonic Transect24 Nov 2017
Sonic Transect: Questioning the territories of energy by sound - From comfort to ambiences in inhabited spaces.
Questioning the notion of comfort in the urban environment focuses attention on our relationship with the inhabited spaces. In this thematic school, the notion of comfort will be investigated in the so-called « innovative » districts targeting energy transition, as is the case of the Presqu’Île in Grenoble. By identifying the various amenities of the territory, and by capturing what reveals the standardized comfort (seeking a homogenization of sensation) and what reveals the sensory comfort (searching, on the contrary, a variation of sensation), this will open a new reflection that questions the relationship between a sensory diagnosis capable of carrying prospective design intentions and an urban development model that is still evolving.
Deadline for registration: December 25th 2017